“From the Monarchy to the Revolution”, a plunge into the heart of history…
Follow in the footsteps of Marie-Antoinette who stayed in Châlons-en-Champagne on her way to Paris then discover the site of the windmill of Valmy, an emblematic location in the proclamation of the Republic.
On the program:
- 9:30am: Welcome coffee at the Tourist Office, take the time to have a little break and get to know the team of the Tourist Office who will welcome you in their cozy premises with a cup of coffee.
- 10am-12pm: Guided visit “In the footsteps of Marie-Antoinette” including the visit of the Oratory of Marie-Antoinette in the Hotel of the Intendants of the Champagne region and the ascent at the top of the Porte Sainte-Croix.
- 12:30-2:30pm: Lunch in one of our partner restaurants : starter, main course, desert, drinks included
- 3-5:30pm: Visit of the Center of Interpretation of Valmy 1792 and guided visit of the Moulin and the place of the Battle. The current windmill is the fourth one to be built on the locations since 1792 and remains the emblematic symbol of the proclamation of the Republic.
Did you know ?
The Porte Sainte-Croix was built in 1769 in the old city walls. Its construction was sped up because of Marie-Antoinette’s passage in Châlons-en-Champagne when she was on her way to Paris to marry the Dauphin. It was dedicated to her and was named Porte Dauphine. The Hotel of the Intendants of the Champagne region, built between 1759 and 1771 according to the blueprints of Jean Gabriel Legendre, housed the royal family in 1791. Indeed, after their arrest in Varennes, Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette stayed there on the night of June 22nd, 1791 before going back to Paris. The beautiful Oratory where Marie-Antoinette and the King attended a mass celebrated at his request can be visited. Nowadays, the building houses the Prefecture of the Marne Department and the Champagne-Ardenne Region.
Price per person, on the basis of 30 persons speaking French. Prices may change according to the details you give us.
Kilometers by bus: 35 km
Package valid from February to December, from Tuesday to Friday.
Duration : 1 day
From Tuesday to Friday
- A day for history enthusiasts
- Access to the top of the Porte Sainte-Croix
- Guided visit of the Moulin of Valmy